Sunday, March 15, 2009

Life as a waiter...

It has been a long time since I posted anything, kind of lost my luster for it. But I am sitting here waiting to head to church for the day, and I thought that a post based on being a waiter could serve some fun/interest for some people.

So here we go....

First off, If you want to know what it is like working in a restaurant, watch the movie "Waiting." It is as close (with some extremes) to seeing what it is like as you can possibly get without working there. It is a bit raunchy, for those who dont want to know what really happen, I suggest you dont watch it.

General Rules

If your waiter looks like he or she is in a hurry, it is because they are. This is mostly on weekend nights, but we appreciate it if you say you are ready to order, you really are. Saying you are then proceeding to look at the menu for 2 minutes is not cool. We could have filled 7 drinks, gotten 8 sides of ranch, a house salad, 3 bowls of soup and napkins for all of our tables during that 2 minutes alone.

Please do not ask your waiter or waitress what we have that is good. Especially at a place like Chilis, we have 487 options to choose from. It is impossible to pull out a food with much authenticity that we think you will like. A better question would be "What is your favorite salad?" "Which burger do you think is the best?" "What are the best tacos?" even something like "I am having a hard time choosing between Ribs and the Cajun Ribeye, do you have a preference?" I guarantee you will get a better, truthful response if you ask specifics. If you dont, we will just tell you something to get. Whether we like it or not.

If by chance you are out to eat, and something happens, and the restaurant gives you a complimentary dessert, or takes off some of your meal, please do not take this out on the waiter. It is courtesy to tip them based on the amount they served you. if you have a $60.00 bill and the manager comps half of it, tip on the $60.00, not the $30.00.

If you are in a group (like 6 or more) and you need the ticket split, please, please, please tell us when you first get there, it will make our lives so much easier. And please be patient while we are running all of your payments, it is vary time consuming.

There are certain things all restaurants have their servers do at every table, we hate them just as much as you do. Please don't get upset at us.

If you piss off your waiter, or are a pain in his or her ass, you automatically get dropped on that persons mental priority list.

Two rules that will be smart to go by no matter where you are, I have never met a server that does not get annoyed by these: 1) When we say hello to you when we first approach the table, please respond, dont just say "Ill have a coke" and 2) In a place where they put down napkin and silverware, DO NOT take the napkin off the table and move it around before we put the silverware down.

If you know you will go through drinks real quickly, ask your server to bring out more than one, it is very appreciated.




Fun things to know

I have never seen anyone, or heard of anyone (cooks included) spitting in anyones food. (despite the most evil thought of doing a lot worse things than that.)

A fun table can make a servers night.

One bad table can ruin a shift as well.

7/10 servers are fake beyond understanding.

If you have issues with your food, let us know, we want you to enjoy your meal, we will get you something you like.

At Chilis, there is not one server who does not want to murder the guest who orders the Bottomless Soup, Salad, and Chips.

If you go to a restaurant frequently, find a server you like, and ask to be in their section, they will hook you up if you find a cool one.

We are servers, not servants.

I heard, a long time ago, that on average, a server walks 5-7 miles in one shift. Take me for example with 4 shifts a week= 6 miles a day, 24 miles a week, 96 miles a month, 1152 miles in a year, 11520 miles a decade, and so on.

If it is too cold in my restaurant, and you ask me to have the heat turned up I will say "No problem, ill let the manager know, it should take just a little bit to warm up." what this means: I walk in the back, get a drink, walk back out and tell you the heat was turned up. 15 minutes later I ask you if it is warm enough for you. (Never in my 1 1/2 years have I had someone say it had not warmed up.)



Ok, and this is it... I think i covered pretty much all my bases hear. If I think of any more, i will add via comment.







7 comments:

  1. CLASSIC!!!!!!!!! It's about time. I look every day for a new post. I will remember these (brrrrrr) next time I go out to eat. Just for the record, Chili's is the coldest restaurant know to man. You did forget to mention tipping in general. 20%, right? And how much you love the tool bags who tip 4 dollars on a 150 dollar tab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post--good info for the rest of us! What is a 7/10 server? And what is so bothersome about the bottomless chips/soup--just too much work for not enough money or what? I despise being too cold in a restaurant, but that's funny that you don't really do anything about it. And good to know I should be asking for multiple cokes. I didn't know that was helpful! I totally agree about not punishing the waiter for bad food and the like--it's not your fault, though it is nice when the restaurant will make it up to you somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly - you are cold at six flags in July. SO that doesnt count. As for tipping, guess I should have touched on that. My personal rule is a start at 20%. And go up or down accordingly. But only go up if the person really deserves it.

    Ash - Its more about what we have to do for the bottomless. At lunches we have to get it out within 5 minutes. And refills are a pain to get. It is simply a LOT of work for us on one of the cheapest items on our menu. And 7/10, was my lazy way of saying that 7 out of 10 waiters are fake...

    Chilis, at least our store, is really good about comp'ing food or at least giving desserts if something goes wrong, i dont know if thats how it is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post, Jon. I thought you had broken your fingers.

    It's always chilly at Chilis....is that some subliminal marketing thing???

    I know a really good waiter at Chilis who brings us extra croutons and lets us taste the soups. However, he always forgets the silverwre. Know him???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for answering my questions. The problem with the bottomless is that the chicken enchilada soup (whatever it's called) is so dang good that that's what I want every time I go to chili's. I want to visit your Chilis and see you in action!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The enchalada soup is def our best selling. BUT... next time you go in try getting half enchalada and half tortilla. It sounds really weird, but its damn good! We give it to people all the time and no one has ever not liked it!

    And Mom, what idiot would forget to bring out silverware?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was one of my favorite posts (on any blog) to read. It was so informative. I'm so glad waiters don't spit in the food. I never under any circumstances send anything back for fear of what they will do to my food. I agree that people should be curteous to waiters and not just sit there when they ask how they are doing or come back to check on you. This was all good advice for me. Now I want to come to your Chilis.

    ReplyDelete